Monday, February 11, 2008

edumacate me

Instead of taking classes in physics and math, I want "formal" education in:
-how to construct a varied and nutritious eating plan
-what constitutes, and how to implement, good posture for note taking
-shaping of legible letters at a reasonable speed
-some basic sketching
-how to communicate, verbally and written, digital and real, synchronous and asynchronous
-how to learn, remember, and develop an understanding of
-reasonable expectations of health
-how to recognize health problems that need attention
-reasonable and regular activity in a limited setting and timeframe (ie within university)
-understanding and following simple and common programming languages
-personalization of computer operating systems and the use of macros
-how to be polite in many languages
-accounting and taxes and where to get such information
-voting and lobbying and how to be heard
-repair: clothing, computers, bikes, health, relationships
-community politics and organization
-how to listen to others
-how to teach (something, anything)
-raising and looking after children and differently functional people. your own and those without relation to you.
-how to shut up and listen

This is something between a list of what I personally want to gain a deeper understanding of, and a list of what I feel should be expected for everyone to learn in some way or another.
Some of these I already have an ability in or have an understanding of (to some extent or another), others are personal goals and wishful thinking.

I'm not quite sure what I mean by "formal"... perhaps someone can tell me. I think I mean in a curriculum in a school of some form, but much of this seems to come from outside institutionalized situations.
I would like to see a first year of university that has nothing to do with majors or degrees, and probably has very little choice in what you learn. The coverage would be all those useful things that we need to pick up before entering professional work but that we were to young to understand or be interested in before.

4 comments:

Zed Head said...

formal meaning it must all be conducted in coat and tie or evening gown

Scott Geoffrey said...

I think I would enjoy 'formal' school more if it had a formal dress code...
We should do that sometime!

lizard n' roses said...

Assuming you don't figure things out on your own and need to be educated from another/others, I believe 'formal' means that your teacher is an expert on the subject.

Scott Geoffrey said...

mmm, In all seriousness I'm using 'formal' to refer to university/school type learning...
(because we all know that clarification is important)