Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Perceptions of History - a funny story

"It might be a good idea if the various countries of the world would occasionally swap history books, just to see what other people are doing with the same set of facts."
- Bill Vaughan
(Found in the Social Studies section of the Globe and Mail)

The next day there was a reply:
"On the topic of swapping history books with other countries (Social Studies, June 1), reader E. A. Carruthers writes: "When I was a child in the States, we learned that the War of 1812 was fought between the Americans and the British, and the Americans won. Later, in Canada, I learned that the War of 1812 was fought between the U.S. and Canada, and Canada won. I asked an English friend about the War of 1812. He looked thoughtful for a moment and asked, 'Weren't we fighting Napoleon then?' "


I really, really, really want some foreign textbooks. On all sorts of topics. (If only I could read them in other languages as well...)

No comments: